William Lewis Tuttle
* Pioneer and Patriarch *
Biography written by DONALD EDWARD PARK (1934-2014) with edits by his daughter, Evelyn Park Blalock. Please do not publish elsewhere without providing full and proper credit. Thank you.
William Lewis Tuttle and Sarah Emily Moore were married December 29, 1863 in Clark County, Indiana, where they settled after their marriage. Sarah Emily, who was known as "Emma" or "Em", was the daughter of Henrietta Prather Moore, Lewis Tuttle's second wife. Sarah Emily and her sister, Mary Louise, were brought up in the Lewis Tuttle household along with Lewis' children by his first marriage. William Lewis Tuttle's brother Henry married Mary Louise Moore on February 15, 1866. The Prather and Tuttle families were members of the New Chapel Methodist Church, so it is likely that Lewis and Henrietta Tuttle, William Lewis and Sarah Emily Tuttle, and Henry and Mary Louise Tuttle were married in that church.*
William Lewis and Sarah Emily Tuttle, and Henry and Mary Louise Tuttle, left Indiana in 1866. They moved to Douglas County, Kansas, arriving about 2 Apr 1866, when they purchased adjacent farms at Blue Mound near Vinland, Douglas County, Kansas. The William Lewis Tuttle farm was located at the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 27. This farm remained in the family until 1952. The purchase of the farms was aided greatly by the fact that Isaac Prather had given each of the girls $3,000 when they were married, which was a very large sum at that time.
John Wesley Willey Sr. and John Wesley Willey Jr. had moved to Kansas in 1857, bringing equipment for a mill with them. The mill they built was located on the Wakarusa River at Blue Mound. John Wesley Willey Sr. was the uncle of William Lewis and Henry Tuttle. Another brother of William Lewis Tuttle, Leonard Huston Tuttle, also came to Douglas Co, Kansas in 1857. Leonard Tuttle returned to Indiana in 1861 to join the army and did not return to Kansas until shortly after William Lewis and Henry had moved there. Therefore, when William Lewis and Henry moved to Douglas County, they already had relatives there. Two additional Tuttle brothers also established farms near Vinland, Douglas County, Kansas.
In addition to farming, William Lewis Tuttle served on several school boards and was a pillar of the Methodist church in Vinland.
*New Chapel was originally a Methodist Episcopal Church, probably the first Methodist church in the state, organized circa 1804, and is now a United Methodist Church. New Chapel United Methodist Church is located at 5616 New Chapel Road in Utica Township, Clark County, Indiana.
Jessie Carol Tuttle Whitlock (#49948293)
Birch Eugene Tuttle
Mary Annie Tuttle
Charles Edward Tuttle
Lewis Franklin "Frank" Tuttle
Nellie Greenwood Tuttle Willey
Irene A. "Rena" Tuttle Clark (31 Jul 1876 - 11 Jun 1902)
Katie Henrietta Tuttle Anderson
Irvin Garfield Tuttle
James William "Will" Tuttle
Baby Tuttle (1885-1885)
Anna Laura Tuttle Baker
Otto Moore Tuttle
Friends & Family
Looks like something went wrong.
Reload the page and try again.